Compensation for Auto Accident Victims
A leading cause of serious injury and death are motor vehicle accidents. There were 2.4 million disabling injuries and 44,700 deaths in the United States from motor vehicle accidents, according to the National Safety Council, with the estimated financial cost toppling at $258 billion. The cost to these families and individuals are inestimable.
Navigating through the dynamic streets of Los Angeles, drivers inevitably face the risk of being involved in car accidents due to the heavy traffic and sometimes negligent behaviors on the road. At Martinian Lawyers, we understand the profound impact that a vehicle collision can have on your life, often bringing about physical, emotional, and financial hardships. When you or your loved ones fall victim to a car accident in this bustling city, know that our seasoned Los Angeles car accident attorneys are here to champion your cause. With extensive knowledge of California’s traffic laws and a deep commitment to your well-being and justice, our legal team offers unparalleled support and representation to secure the compensation you rightly deserve.
Begin your journey toward healing and recovery with Martinian Lawyers standing steadfastly by your side, illuminating the path to legal redress and peace of mind. Call today for a free and confidential case evaluation.
Our Attorneys Have:
- Decades of experience
At Martinian Lawyers, our seasoned team brings together decades of legal expertise, providing a depth of experience that is crucial in navigating complex personal injury cases. Our lengthy tenure in the field reflects not just our commitment to justice, but also a track record of reliability and proficiency that our clients have trusted over the years.
- Recovered millions for our clients
Our dedicated attorneys at Martinian Lawyers have successfully recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. Through relentless advocacy and meticulous case preparation, we have been able to provide financial relief and justice to victims, facilitating their healing and recovery process while easing their financial burdens.
- Free consultations
At Martinian Lawyers, we offer free initial consultations, providing a risk-free opportunity for potential clients to discuss their cases. This complimentary session allows you to understand your legal options and receive professional advice without any financial obligation, making the first step towards pursuing justice accessible and stress-free.
- Work on a contingency basis
Our firm operates on a contingency fee basis, meaning our clients pay nothing unless we win their case. At Martinian Lawyers, we invest our resources, time, and expertise into winning your case, ensuring that legal support is available to everyone, regardless of their financial situation. With our contingency approach, your pursuit of justice is free of financial risk, as our success is inherently tied to yours.
- Diverse Support
We recognize that our clients come from diverse backgrounds and may have unique needs. To better serve our community, we offer language support with interpreters fluent in Spanish, Russian, Armenian, Georgian, Hindi, ensuring effective communication and understanding throughout the legal process.
Experience. Compassion. Expertise. Connections. At Martinian Lawyers, our seasoned team approaches every case with heartfelt understanding, unparalleled skill, and a well-respected network to deliver justice on your behalf.
Contact us to work with an experienced Los Angeles car accidents attorney. Call (323) 850-1900 today.
What Are Los Angeles Car Accidents?
Due to its expansive network of freeways and highways, along with high vehicle traffic, Los Angeles experiences a significant number of car accidents annually. These accidents can range in severity from minor fender benders to catastrophic collisions, often resulting in property damage, injury, or even fatality. Car accidents in Los Angeles can be attributed to various factors, including but not limited to, driver negligence, impaired driving, speeding, adverse weather conditions, and faulty vehicle equipment. Victims of car accidents might be entitled to compensation for their injuries, pain, suffering, and other damages, which is where legal professionals like those at Martinian Lawyers can offer expert guidance and representation. Their attorneys work diligently to help clients navigate the legal process following an accident, providing support for insurance claims, settlement negotiations, or litigation if necessary.
What To Do After A Car Accident
After experiencing a car accident, one of the first things you are going to want to do is file an auto insurance claim with your insurance provider. A claim will encompass information on your accident, police reports, damage estimates, medical bills etc.
After an insurance adjuster has reviewed your case, you will be given a settlement offer. Sometimes, this offer does not accurately reflect the amount of damage you suffered. When this occurs, you can appeal your claim. Whatever the reason for your auto insurance claim denial, an attorney from Martinian Lawyers can assist you to see that you recover maximum financial compensation for your accident.
If you have been seriously injured, or if a member of your family has been subject to a wrongful death due to a motor vehicle accident, it is imperative to discuss your case with an attorney who not only has the skills, but also the resources to get the results you need and deserve.
Car Accident Laws in CA
California’s car accident laws cover a wide range of regulations and rules to ensure safety on the roads. If you find yourself involved in a car accident in the state, it is vital to understand the dos and don’ts. Here are some key aspects of the law that can help you navigate the process with confidence:
- Fault: California is a “fault” state, which means that the driver who is found to be at fault for an accident is responsible for paying damages. If more than one driver is at fault, liability is apportioned based on the degree of fault.
- Comparative negligence: California follows the doctrine of comparative negligence, which means that if the injured party is partially at fault for the accident, their damages will be reduced in proportion to their degree of fault.
- Statute of limitations: California has a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury claims arising from car accidents. This means that an injured person has two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit.
- Insurance requirements: California requires all drivers to carry liability insurance with a minimum coverage of $15,000 for injury or death to one person, $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person, and $5,000 for property damage.
- Hit-and-run accidents: In California, leaving the scene of an accident without providing identifying information or rendering aid is a criminal offense.
- Reporting requirements: Drivers involved in a car accident that results in injury, death, or property damage exceeding $1,000 must report the accident to the California DMV within 10 days.
- Seat belt laws: California law requires all drivers and passengers to wear seat belts while driving.
If you have been involved in a car accident in California, it is important to consult with an experienced auto accident attorney in Los Angeles to understand your rights and options. Call us at (323) 850-1900 today!
Proving Negligence in Los Angeles Car Accident
When negligence is a factor in a California car accident, as the victim, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Proving negligence requires determining who was at fault and proving that the other driver had a legal responsibility to exercise reasonable care yet failed to do so. Normally negligence is established when it can be proven that the other party’s negligent behavior was what caused the harm experienced by you or another passenger of your vehicle, such as injury or death. It is important to note that negligence needs to be proven by clear and convincing evidence in order for it to be established under California law. Ensuring negligence is proven effectively and accurately should be done with the help of an experienced Los Angeles car accident lawyer who is knowledgeable about negligence laws in the state of California.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents are unfortunately becoming increasingly common, and in many cases injuries can be a result of them. Common injuries caused from car accidents may include:
- Whiplash injuries – Whiplash injuries typically occur during rear-end collisions when the sudden forward and backward movement causes strain to the neck. This movement can damage the muscles and ligaments in the neck, resulting in pain, stiffness, and sometimes long-term discomfort and disability.
- Spinal injuries – Spinal injuries involve damage to the spinal cord or the vertebrae and can result in partial or complete paralysis. The severity of spinal injuries can vary, but they often have a significant, lasting impact on an individual’s mobility and overall quality of life.
- Back and neck injuries – These injuries encompass a wide range, from minor strains and sprains to more serious issues like herniated discs. Back and neck injuries can result in persistent pain and limited movement, affecting an individual’s ability to engage in daily activities and work.
- Concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBI) – A concussion or TBI occurs when a violent jolt or blow to the head damages the brain. These injuries can lead to cognitive impairments, memory loss, difficulty concentrating, and other serious health issues, with symptoms lasting from a few days to a lifetime.
- Broken bones or fractures – In car accidents, the force of the impact can break or fracture bones. These injuries can range from simple fractures, which may heal with rest, to compound fractures that might require surgical intervention and extensive rehabilitation.
- Lacerations and contusions – Flying glass or debris during a car accident can cause cuts (lacerations) and bruises (contusions). Lacerations may lead to scarring and require stitches, while contusions might be superficial or affect deeper tissues, causing swelling and pain.
- Burns – Burn injuries in car accidents can occur due to explosions, fires, or contact with hot surfaces or chemicals. Depending on the degree of the burn, victims may experience pain, scarring, infections, and may need grafting or other surgical procedures.
- Permanent disability – A permanent disability injury refers to the lasting impairment suffered by an individual, often leading to the inability to perform certain work or daily living activities. This might include paralysis, loss of limbs, or severe brain damage.
- Wrongful death – Wrongful death in car accidents refers to fatalities that result from the negligent or reckless actions of another driver or party. Families of the deceased may be entitled to compensation for their emotional and financial loss through legal action.
The severity of these injuries is largely dependent on speed and the positioning of passengers in the car at time of impact. If you experience any injuries after being involved in a car accident, it’s important to discuss your options with your physician as soon as possible to help ensure a speedy recovery and reach out to our Los Angeles car accident attorney.
Types of Motor Vehicle Accident Cases We Handle
At Martinian Lawyers, we are known for achieving significant verdicts and settlements in motor vehicle accident claims involving:
- Truck Accidents: Our attorneys not only fully understand federal regulations, but they will hold those who disregard these standards accountable when their negligence causes accidents, injuries, or death.
- Public Transportation Accidents: We have and continue to be successful in lawsuits against the government entities on behalf of the injury victims.
- Bus Accidents: Whether you or a family member has been injured on a city bus, a charter bus, or a school bus, you have rights, and we will make sure to protect them.
- Poor Road Design & Maintenance: Intersection and roadway design, as well as defective or missing traffic lights and guardrails are responsible for causing serious accidents and injuries.
- Rollover Accidents: Our firm is well known for landmark vehicle rollover cases, including 15 passenger vans and SUV’s.
- Pedestrian Accidents: Pedestrians are vulnerable to negligent drivers on a sidewalk or in a crosswalk. It is often our opponents who are left defenseless in court.
- Bicycle Accidents: When a motor vehicle and a bicyclist get in an accident, the cyclist rarely walks away.
- Inadequate Vehicle Barriers: Open air markets, street fairs, sidewalk cafes, and other public spaces often lack adequate protection between traffic and people. Unfortunately, the results of this can often be deadly.
Common Causes of Los Angeles Car Accidents
Los Angeles is infamous for its congested roadways, which can contribute to a high number of car accidents. Below are some common causes of car accidents in the Los Angeles area:
- Distracted Driving: With the rise of smartphones and in-car entertainment systems, distracted driving is a leading cause of accidents. Drivers who are not paying attention to the road can easily cause collisions.
- Speeding: Driving above the speed limit is dangerous and reduces the driver’s reaction time, making speeding a significant factor in many accidents.
- Drunk Driving: Operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs impairs judgment and coordination, leading to dangerous driving behaviors and accidents.
- Reckless Driving: Aggressive driving maneuvers, tailgating, and not yielding the right of way are all forms of reckless driving that can lead to accidents.
- Weather Conditions: Although Los Angeles is known for its fair weather, occasional rain can make roads slippery, and fog can reduce visibility, both contributing to accidents.
- Running Red Lights and Stop Signs: Disobeying traffic signals is a common cause of intersection accidents, often resulting in dangerous side-impact collisions.
- Traffic Congestion: The heavy traffic in Los Angeles can lead to rear-end collisions and other types of accidents, as drivers navigate through crowded roadways.
- Poor Road Conditions: Potholes, uneven surfaces, and lack of proper signage can contribute to accidents, especially if drivers are not familiar with the road.
- Defective Vehicle Parts: Mechanical failures or defective parts, such as brakes or tires, can lead to accidents if they malfunction while driving.
California Driving Hands-Free Laws
California has strict hands-free driving laws aimed at reducing distracted driving and increasing road safety. Drivers aged 18 and over may use hands-free devices to talk on the phone while driving. This usually involves using a Bluetooth device, speakerphone function, or integrated system within the vehicle.
Texting, reading, or writing on a smartphone is prohibited for all drivers. Voice-operated and hands-free devices can be used to dictate, send, or listen to text messages. Using a phone for navigation is allowed, but it must be mounted on the dashboard or windshield, and the driver can only use one finger to swipe or tap the screen. Exceptions are in place for emergency situations, where drivers can use their phones to call emergency services.
Statute of Limitations in California Car Accident Claims
The statute of limitations in California for car accident claims defines the time limit within which a lawsuit must be filed per California Code of Civil Procedure 335.1 . For personal injury claims resulting from a car accident, you generally have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. If you fail to initiate a legal action within this period, you may lose your right to pursue compensation for your injuries.
In some cases, injuries sustained in an accident are not immediately apparent. California law acknowledges this through the discovery rule, which allows the statute of limitations to start from the date the injury was discovered or reasonably should have been discovered.
Contact Our Los Angeles Car Accidents Lawyer Today
Navigating through the aftermath of a car accident in Los Angeles can be a daunting and overwhelming experience. Amidst the physical, emotional, and financial turmoil, you need a steadfast and experienced legal ally by your side. Martinian Lawyers offers an unparalleled level of commitment and expertise to help you secure the compensation you rightfully deserve.We represent clients throughout the Southern California area, the Los Angeles area, and throughout the entire state. We also consult with clients and attorneys nationwide. With a proven track record of success, our seasoned car accident lawyers are adept at handling the complexities and challenges of the legal process efficiently. Don’t carry the burden alone; reach out to Martinian Lawyers today for a free consultation, and let us chart the best legal course of action tailored to your unique situation. Your journey towards justice and recovery begins with a simple call to our dedicated team.
Whether you are an individual who has been subjected to a serious injury or are a referring attorney, please contact Martinian Lawyers to discuss your auto accident case in Los Angeles, CA.