Pursuing Justice on Behalf of Injured Victims
While air travel is statistically one of the safest modes of transportation – even safer per mile traveled than motor vehicles – airplane accidents still occur regularly. And when a plane crash happens, the ramifications are often severe, with countless injuries and even fatalities occurring.
After an airplane accident, determining liability in an effort to award financial damages to victims can be a complex process. The extent of injuries, the number of victims involved, and the numerous insurance providers attempting to minimize responsibility on the part of their clients can make the claims process extremely complicated. But the experienced team of Los Angeles. aviation lawyers at Martinian Lawyers is here to provide accident victims and their families with the very best legal representation available, ensuring that your rights are protected and your ability to collect maximum financial compensation for all applicable damages is preserved. Contact us today for a free consultation!
Common Types of Aviation Accidents Leading to Civil Lawsuits
While the Los Angeles-area roadways are known for extreme congestion and traffic, the skies above Southern California are equally as busy. Over 60 million people fly in and out of Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) every year, and there are a number of additional regional and local airports utilized by travelers for trips of varying lengths.
Although commercial airplane crashes are relatively rare, aviation accidents involving smaller jets happen much more often than people may realize.
In fact, in just the past four weeks alone, the Los Angeles-area has experienced three different plane crashes:
- On September 8, 2002, a plane crashed at the Santa Monica Airport, resulting in two fatalities. According to an official report, the Santa Monica Fire Department responded to an aircraft accident at the local airport around 4:25 p.m. Upon arrival, firefighters encountered a single engine aircraft that crashed in the infield and was engulfed in flames. Aircraft Rescue Firefighters reportedly arrived in under two minutes, successfully suppressing the flames shortly thereafter. The aircraft – a Piper Sport two-seat single engine – was inbound to the airport when it touched down, subsequently making an abrupt upward maneuver and then crashing in the infield. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is leading a large-scale investigation.
- On August 18, 2022, a small plane crashed upside down into hangars at Camarillo Airport. Firefighters were called to the scene at 1:44 p.m. after the ultralight aircraft crashed, according to a spokesperson for the Camarillo Fire Department. Firefighters arrived to find the small plane upside down on the roof of hangars used for other small planes. The pilot, who was not identified, was airlifted in critical condition to the Ventura County Medical Center trauma department, the Los Angeles Times reported.
- Also on August 18, 2022, two planes collided over Watsonville Municipal Airport in Watsonville, California. Three people were killed in the airplane crash, according to a Los Angeles Times report. Both aircraft are believed to have been attempting to land when they collided. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) confirmed that the planes involved in the fatal crash were a single-engine Cessna 152 and a twin-engine Cessna 340. The FAA and National Transportation Safety Board are conducting an ongoing investigation into the crash.
The above examples are just some of many scenarios that can lead to airplane crashes. Other common aviation accident case types include:
- Private jet crashes
- Commuter plane crashes
- Helicopter crashes
- Commercial plane crashes
- International plane crashes
- Charter plane crashes
How an aviation accident occurs can often impact the litigation process afterward.
Common Causes of Aviation Accidents
In order to legally operate an aircraft, pilots must undergo a specified amount of training and obtain proper licenses and accreditations. Despite the required training, human error can often lead to plane crashes. Some examples include:
- Operating an aircraft while fatigued or under the influence
- Operating an aircraft in unsafe or inclement weather conditions
- Failing to follow operational safety regulations
- Unfamiliarity with a specific aircraft (or the machine’s technology)
- Improper maintenance or repairs
Additionally, mechanical or equipment malfunctions regularly cause aviation accidents:
- Improper or defective design
- Manufacturing defect
- System failure
- Failure to maintain the aircraft according to official recommendations
Moreover, air traffic controller error and improperly maintained airports (faulty runways, failure to prevent animals/birds from disabling planes, etc.) can lead to serious and even catastrophic aviation accidents.
Who Can be Sued for Negligence After an Aviation Accident?
Depending on the circumstances of your aviation accident, a number of different parties may hold at least a portion of the liability. Accordingly, those parties may be named as defendants in a civil lawsuit seeking damages on behalf of a victim.
Some examples include:
- Airline companies
- Airline employees
- Maintenance/runway crew members
- Air traffic controllers
- The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- Airplane manufacturers
- Aircraft designers
- Aircraft owners
- The company or individual which leased an airplane
- Owners of an airfield or helicopter pad
When you contact a Martinian Lawyers Los Angeles aviation accident attorney for a free consultation, we will review the facts of your case and provide you with a detailed overview of all available legal options. We’ll also discuss how long it may take to reach a cash settlement for your injuries, and provide an estimate for how much your total claim may be worth.
What Damages Can be Recovered in an Aviation Accident Lawsuit?
Airplane accidents can cause unthinkable losses to victims as well as their families. By filing an aviation accident civil claim with Martinian Lawyers, you can pursue any damages that are applicable to your incident:
- Past and future medical bills and care
- Loss of income
- Loss of ability to generate future income
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish or psychological trauma
- Punitive damages
For airplane crashes which tragically result in fatalities, the surviving family members of a victim may wish to bring a wrongful death lawsuit in an effort to recover due financial compensation. Eligible family members may pursue certain damages in civil court, such as:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Financial support
- Loss of gifts
- Loss of companionship
- Medical bills or other expenses incurred
- Value of any lost benefits (medical, pension, etc.)
The wrongful death attorneys at Martinian Lawyers are standing by to answer any questions you may have about filing a claim. We will fight aggressively on behalf of you and your family to secure the justice you deserve after a tragic aviation accident.
Choosing the Best Los Angeles Aviation Accident Lawyers
In California, most victims of aviation accidents have two years from the date of an injury or fatality to file a civil claim. Accordingly, it’s important to contact the experienced and proven aviation accident lawyers at Martinian Lawyers as soon as possible for a free consultation at 323-850-1900.
When searching for the best airplane accident law firm to handle your claim, it’s important to find a team with experience and results. Martinian Lawyers is a leading Los Angles personal injury firm representing victims in aviation accidents, car accidents, wrongful death claims, slip and falls, dog bites, and more. For more than 25 years, Tigran Martinian and his team of proven attorneys have been helping injured victims like you secure justice through maximum financial compensation.
An aviation accident case requires an attorney with a substantial level of courtroom knowledge, skill, and experience in order to prevail on the side of the plaintiff. Airline manufacturers, airline companies, airports, and various other defendants in aviation accident cases will undoubtedly attempt to minimize their liability for your injuries. But with the trusted team of airplane accident attorneys at Martinian Lawyers fighting on your side, you will have peace of mind throughout the entire litigation process knowing that your claim is in the best possible hands.
We won’t settle for anything less than the maximum financial compensation you deserve for your aviation accident injury. And with Martinian Lawyers, there’s never any upfront fee or out-of-pocket expense to worry about. You pay nothing until after we’ve secured a maximum damages award on your behalf.
Contact the California aviation accident lawyers at Martinian Lawyers today to learn more about how we can help you get justice for your claim.