Call for a Consultation
click for a consultation

Los Angeles Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Accident Lawyer

Myth: Uninsured (UM) and underinsured (UIM) motorist coverage are not necessary. Although it is against the law to drive without carrying at least the minimum auto insurance coverage, at least one out of every seven drivers on the road is uninsured. So truthfully, UM and UIM insurance coverage is actually very helpful. Each state has different laws when it comes to UM and UIM insurance.

In the state of California, uninsured motorist insurance is not required by law. However, while this type of insurance is not required, insurance companies must provide it as an option. If you were involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, or a driver who doesn’t have enough insurance to cover accident costs, then you could recover compensation under a UM/UIM clause in your auto insurance policy. Contact a Los Angeles uninsured/underinsured motorist accident attorney from Martinian Lawyers to receive a free consultation.

According to the California Department of Insurance:

Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist: Provides liability insurance when the party at fault does not have the state required minimum liability coverage, or the minimum liability coverage is insufficient to cover the injuries sustained in the accident. Likewise, uninsured motorist property damage covers possible reimbursement for damages your car sustains (BI and PD).

If you were involved in this type of car accident and you carry UM/UIM insurance, talk to a Los Angeles personal injury attorney at Martinian Lawyers Even if you do not have this type of coverage in your auto insurance policy, we can help you arrive at a favorable solution to getting the compensation you need.

Bodily Injury and Property Damage Coverage

There are two major types of coverage in UM/UIM policies and those are bodily injury and property damage. While neither are required by law, if selected, they could provide the following coverage:

  • Bodily Injury (UM and UIM) could provide compensation for all accident-related medical expenses.
  • Property Damage (UM) could provide compensation for vehicle repair costs not covered by collision insurance, with a $3,500 limit.

Some states allow for victims of hit-and-run accidents to recover compensation through their uninsured motorist clause in their auto insurance policy, but in California, UM insurance cannot be used for this purpose. Regular collision coverage would pay for damages in the event of an at-fault driver who leaves the scene of an accident.

It is also important to understand that California is a tort state when it comes to auto insurance, rather than a “no-fault” state. In no-fault states, those who are involved in accidents go to their own insurance companies to collect a settlement, rather than receiving compensation from the at-fault party’s insurance. In California, settlements are awarded based on percentage of fault. If you were hit by an underinsured motorist, you can collect compensation from their insurance company so long as you were not more than 50 percent at-fault.

Contacting a Los Angeles Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Accident Lawyer

At Martinian Lawyers, we are familiar with California auto insurance laws and we know how insurance companies work. Many claimants are not offered fair settlements and have no one to advocate on their behalf. Our goal as Los Angeles car accident lawyers is to ensure that insurance companies and at-fault drivers treat our clients fairly.

If you were hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver, please do not hesitate to contact a Los Angeles Los Angeles uninsured/underinsured motorist accident lawyer from our firm today and we will offer you a free case evaluation.