Arrested? Call (323) 850-1900 for the Help You Need
Have you recently been arrested or charged with a crime? With your future on the line, you need a Los Angeles criminal defense attorney who you can trust to fight aggressively on your behalf. You can depend on the team at Martinian Lawyers. Our award-winning defenders provide strategic, insightful defense that is further marked by their care and compassion.
Why Call Our Los Angeles Criminal Defense Law Firm?
- Attorneys Who Speak Armenian, English, French, Russian & Spanish
- Selection for the National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 in Southern CA
- Inclusion in the Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyers
- Record of Case Dismissals & Reduced Charges
Dedication to Defending Your Case
When you are charged with a crime, you need someone who cares about the outcome of your case as much as you do. That is the level of service you will encounter when you contact our legal team. Our firm is widely respected in the greater Los Angeles area for our professionalism and skill in helping those accused of a crime to obtain the positive results they deserve. We will ensure that your rights are respected and upheld.
Our Los Angeles criminal defense lawyers are dedicated to each and every case, no matter how complex or challenging. We understand that this is one of the most difficult times in your life, and we are here to help you navigate the legal process and fight for your rights.
Get in touch with a Los Angeles criminal defense attorney from our office. Call (323) 850-1900 today.
What Does a Los Angeles Criminal Defense Lawyer Do?
A criminal lawyer, also known as a criminal defense attorney, is a legal professional who specializes in representing individuals or entities accused of committing criminal offenses. Their primary role is to provide legal counsel, advocacy, and representation to protect the rights and interests of their clients throughout the criminal justice process. Here’s what a criminal lawyer typically does:
- Legal Consultation: Criminal lawyers meet with clients to provide legal advice and guidance. They explain the charges, potential consequences, and legal options available, helping clients make informed decisions about their case.
- Case Assessment: Criminal lawyers review the evidence and facts of the case to assess its strengths and weaknesses. They may identify legal issues, potential defenses, and opportunities for negotiation.
- Investigation: Criminal lawyers conduct investigations to gather evidence that can support their client’s innocence or cast doubt on the prosecution’s case. This may involve interviewing witnesses, examining police reports, reviewing physical evidence, and consulting with experts.
- Defense Strategy: Based on their assessment and investigation, criminal lawyers develop a strategic defense plan tailored to the specific circumstances of the case. This plan may involve plea negotiations, pre-trial motions, or trial preparation.
- Plea Negotiations: Criminal lawyers negotiate with the prosecution to seek favorable outcomes for their clients. This may involve pursuing reduced charges, lesser penalties, diversion programs, or alternative sentencing options.
- Trial Representation: If a case goes to trial, the criminal lawyer represents their client in court. They present evidence, cross-examine witnesses, make legal arguments, and advocate for their client’s innocence or raise reasonable doubt about their guilt.
- Legal Advocacy: Throughout the legal process, criminal lawyers advocate for their clients’ rights. They protect against violations of constitutional rights, such as the right to remain silent, the right to an attorney, and protection against unlawful search and seizure.
- Legal Research and Analysis: Criminal lawyers conduct legal research to stay updated on relevant laws, precedents, and regulations. They use this knowledge to build strong legal arguments.
- Client Support: Criminal lawyers provide emotional support and reassurance to their clients, who may be experiencing stress and anxiety due to the criminal charges. They help clients understand the process and the potential outcomes.
- Post-Conviction Matters: If a client is convicted, criminal lawyers may handle post-conviction matters, such as filing appeals, seeking sentence reductions, or exploring other legal avenues to challenge or modify the conviction or sentence.
- Expert Witnesses: In complex cases, criminal lawyers may consult and present expert witnesses to testify on behalf of their clients. These experts can provide specialized knowledge or opinions that support the defense’s arguments.
Criminal lawyers play a crucial role in ensuring that individuals accused of crimes receive a fair and just legal process. They are essential in upholding the principles of due process and justice within the criminal justice system. Their work involves vigorously defending their clients and ensuring that their constitutional rights are protected throughout the legal proceedings.
What to Do When You’re Charged
If you are criminally charged, remember that you have not yet been found guilty. Many people feel as if there is no hope in these circumstances, especially when their charges are more serious, such as violent crimes like murder. The truth is, no matter what the extent of your criminal charges may be, you can still get help from a highly skilled attorney.
You may not have much time in which to obtain legal help, but our firm is prepared to act quickly and efficiently on your behalf. When you speak with a criminal defense attorney from our firm, a skilled professional will evaluate your case and then explain to you how we plan on defending you in court. After becoming our client, we will fight with all of our resources in order to ensure that justice is served and you get a favorable outcome.
Criminal Defense Process in California
California criminal laws are some of the most complicated in the country and require a high degree of understanding and finesse to navigate through. Criminal defense requires knowing all the applicable criminal statutes, navigating pre-trial motions and hearings, finding supportive evidence, and developing effective arguments in court. In California, criminal defense is conducted either by public defenders who are appointed by the court or private criminal attorneys. Regardless of which path you choose in criminal defense process, your lawyer should be someone who is knowledgeable of criminal proceedings and knowledgeable of local criminal law. A Los Angeles criminal defense attorney can provide advice prior to trial and protect a defendant’s rights throughout the criminal justice system. Whether it be negotiating plea deals with prosecutors or putting up a vigorous defense capable of exonerating an accused person entirely, attorney experience can make a difference between obtaining just results versus lengthy jail sentences.
Why Hire a Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney?
When faced with criminal charges in California, hiring a Los Angeles criminal defense lawyer is essential. A knowledgeable and experienced defense lawyer will be able to review the case against you and use their extensive legal resources and expertise to craft the best possible defense strategy. A good criminal defense attorney will also be able to potentially negotiate for reduced charges or an even dismissal of your case altogether. Because navigating the complex legal system can be quite overwhelming, hiring a competent Los Angeles criminal defense lawyer is the best course of action and will ultimately increase your chance of winning your case in court.
What Are the Benefits of Having a Defense Attorney?
Having a defense attorney is extremely beneficial when facing criminal charges. A Los Angeles defense attorney can help protect your rights, provide legal advice and build a legal strategy to achieve the best possible outcome for their client. They will also review any evidence and negotiate with the prosecution for lesser penalties, or dismissal altogether. In some states, individuals can choose to represent themselves in court, however having an experienced Los Angeles defense lawyer provides invaluable benefits. They will give their clients the support they need throughout all phases of a criminal trial, including understanding complicated court paperwork and guiding them through complex procedures, as well as working to suppress evidence and present compelling arguments during cross-examination. Ultimately, a defense attorney stands on the side of justice – it’s essential to have a knowledgeable ally who has your back in order to successfully navigate the criminal justice system.
How Do I Find a Criminal Defense Attorney in Los Angeles?
When you’ve been accused of a crime in California, finding an experienced lawyer for criminal defense in Los Angeles is essential. The best way to find a Los Angeles criminal defense attorney is to research local attorneys and contact them directly. Speak with several attorneys before making any decisions; this will give you an opportunity to evaluate your options and ensure that your chosen lawyer has the experience and skills necessary for defending your case. Additionally, ask questions related to the attorney’s background and track record in the courtroom, as these elements can have a significant impact on the outcome of your case.
Why Are Criminal Defenses Important?
Criminal defenses are critical for maintaining fairness and justice within criminal proceedings. These defenses are used to ensure that criminal defendants are not wrongfully convicted of criminal charges, as everyone is considered innocent until proven guilty. Criminal defenses provide criminal defendants with the opportunity to present evidence in their favor and demonstrate the ways in which they may be wrongfully accused. This allows criminal courts to understand all sides of a criminal case before deciding whether legal action should be taken against an individual. Overall, criminal defenses play a very pivotal role in the criminal justice system by preserving one’s right to fair treatment and due process.
Types of Criminal Charges We Defend Against
Our Los Angeles criminal lawyers are prepared to handle nearly every type of criminal charge imaginable. We handle criminal cases that include and aren’t limited to:
- Drug crimes
- Probation violation
- Property crimes
- Theft crimes
- Federal crimes
- Felony charges
- Juvenile charges
- Sex crimes
- L.A. code violations
- Three Strikes Law
- Violent crimes
- Weapon offenses
- White collar crimes
Over the years, we have proven that we can handle diverse kinds of cases with equal valor. This will undoubtedly be to your benefit because you need an attorney who has a comprehensive understanding of the law, ensuring that they are utilizing the best methods for handling any of the number of different crimes for which you could be charged. You should not wait long after receiving these charges to get in touch with a Los Angeles criminal defense lawyer from Martinian Lawyers that can help you begin the defense process on your case.
Get Strong Representation & A Personalized Approach
Need a criminal defense attorney in Los Angeles? Having a criminal attorney on your side for criminal cases is invaluable. Not only does it give you confidence that your rights will be represented and defended, but it also puts our Los Angeles criminal attorneys in the position to assess your personal situation and needs. With our team’s extensive knowledge and resources, our defense lawyers in LA are able to recognize the nuances of California criminal law. Look no further than Martinian Lawyers. Not only do we believe in strong representation, but we also believe in a personalized approach. What this means is that you will never be treated like just another case when you come to this firm.