One of the very first questions usually asked by someone arrested for DUI is “will this be considered a felony?” It is safe to say that in the majority of cases, DUI is not a felony offense. However, there are circumstances in which one can face felony charges after being arrested for driving while intoxicated.
A few of the primary scenarios include:
- The person’s DUI resulted in injury or death to one or more persons involved in the accident
- The person who was charged has been convicted of DUI in the past
- The person has been charged with four or more DUI offenses in the past ten years
The majority of felony DUI cases in California involve a vehicle accident in which innocent motorists and passengers are injured or killed. In order for a prosecutor to successfully convict a person of DUI, they must be able to prove that the accident was solely the fault of the intoxicated driver. If you are facing felony DUI charges, it is in your best interest to hire a Los Angeles criminal defense attorney that can aggressively defend you in court and possibly help you avoid the harsh punishments of a conviction. Contact an experienced Los Angeles felony DUI lawyer at Martinian Lawyers today for a free consultation.
What Constitutes a Felony DUI?
While most cases of DUI are assumed to be misdemeanor offenses, this is not always the case. Under certain circumstances, it is entirely possible for a drunk driver to be convicted of a felonious offense should the nature of the incident call for it.
Primarily, the incidents which are considered felonious in nature are:
- Bodily harm is caused to another in an accident that was caused by an intoxicated driver
- Multiple prior convictions related to DUI have been made in the defendant’s name
- The defendant has already received at least one prior felony DUI conviction
Contact an Experienced Los Angeles Felony DUI Lawyer
If you need a skilled Los Angeles DUI lawyer for your felony charges, contact our firm. Martinian Lawyers provides legal help to individuals throughout Los Angeles in all manner of DUI cases. Whether one is facing a misdemeanor or has been charged with a felony, our approach is the same: work diligently towards a resolution that is beneficial to the client. We will approach your felony DUI case in the same way, and do our utmost to maximize your chances of being exonerated of the charges against you.