Los Angeles Computer Crime Attorney
Have You Been Accused Of Computer Crimes?
As the internet grows in popularity it has become more and more commonly used for personal and business transactions. This new found ability to operate from virtually anywhere allows businesses to be run from any point on the planet as long as there is internet access. The increased use of the internet and growth in the number of federal personnel has resulted in the establishment of more federal crime task forces and investigators than ever before. If you are in any way involved, no matter how innocently, in an activity which is under federal investigation you need to first talk with an experienced Los Angeles criminal defense attorney who will protect your interests.
18 U.S.C. § 1030 on Computer-Related Fraud Offenses
The United States Code has laws specifically dedicated to fraud offenses accomplished by way of computers. Listed in 18 U.S.C. § 1030 are seven different types of computer fraud as well as conspiracy to commit computer fraud and attempted computer fraud.
The major types of computer fraud are:
- Accessing a computer without authorization to obtain information that is classified by the U.S. government.
- Accessing a computer and, without authorization, obtaining financial records or any other related information from a protected computer.
- Accessing a private computer belonging to a U.S. agency.
- Accessing a protected computer with the intent to defraud obtaining objects of value.
- Causing unauthorized damage to a private computer by transmitting programs, information, codes or commands.
- Intending to defraud by trafficking by way of password or information if that action affects foreign commerce or the U.S. government.
- Transmitting threatening or demanding communications by way of computers with the intent to extort money or valuables from a person.
Conspiracy or attempting to commit any of these computer offenses can carry the same punishments as actually carrying out the crime. Typically, the terms of imprisonment for computer fraud are 10-20 years. According to the U.S. Government, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is the agency charged with investigating these types of criminal allegations, specifically those involving restricted data, espionage and counterintelligence.
Computer & Cyber Crime Lawyer in Los Angeles
Speak with a Los Angeles federal defense attorney from our firm to discuss your criminal allegations, charges and potential penalties.
Federal computer crimes can include offenses such as:
- Spamming and phishing
- Money laundering
- Government fraud
- Debit and credit card fraud
- Child pornography
- Sex crimes against children
In order to develop an effective defense strategy you will need a skilled computer crime lawyer with a long record of success in defense trials but who also has an intimate working knowledge and high quality resources to address evidence from computers and the use of the internet. A thorough independent investigation into the facts of the case can often to light additional information which can be used to counter the prosecution's evidence and use all possible means to get the charges reduced or even dropped.
If you are facing federal charges involving cyber crime you need and have the right to legal counsel. Since the federal court system is very different from the state court system you are wise to choose an aggressive federal crimes lawyer with extensive experience in successfully fighting cases in federal court and opposing a U.S. prosecutor.
Contact a Los Angeles internet crime attorney with our firm to discuss what can be done in your defense.
- Antitrust Violations
- Bank Fraud
- Child Pornography
- Computer Crimes
- Drug Trafficking
- False Statements to a Federal Agent
- Federal Court Process
- Federal Property Crimes
- Habeas Corpus
- Healthcare Fraud
- Human Trafficking
- Immigration Law Violations
- Mail Fraud
- Money Laundering
- Mortgage Fraud
- Murder for Hire
- Passport Fraud
- Tax Evasion
- Wire Fraud
Personal Injury Case Results
Case Dismissed Felony Arson
Found Not Guilty Attempted Murder
Reduced Sentence Assault with Serious Injuries
See How We've Made a Difference
I couldn't imagine what I would do if I didn't call Martinian and the crew for help. M.O.
Thank you for pouring your hearts and souls into my case. O.R.
They took care of everything and got me the best care for recovery. J.A.