Los Angeles Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
Advocate for Victims of Nursing Home Abuse Across California
It can be a gut-wrenching decision to put one's parent or other relative in a nursing home facility, but sometimes there is just no other solution. While there are nursing homes that take stellar care of their patients, unfortunately not all of them do. We expect these caregivers to respect our family members as much as we do, but the statistics on abuse and neglect in these facilities are troubling.
Our elder abuse law firm, Martinian & Associates INC. in Los Angeles is here to help you if you know, or suspect, that an elderly relative has been a victim of abuse or neglect while in a nursing home. We have many years of experience protecting the rights of helpless victims and pursuing fair compensation when injury or death has been the result of abuse.
Symptoms of Physical Abuse & Neglect
Abuse and neglect can be physical, emotional or even financial. Common symptoms of physical abuse include:
- Cuts and bruises
- Torn or dirty clothing and bedding
- Blood on clothing
- Broken bones
- Bleeding in the genital or anal areas
- Sexually transmitted diseases
Some symptoms of neglect include:
- Lack of hygiene
- Bed linens and clothes left soiled
- Signs of malnourishment / dehydration
- The effects of not receiving medications as scheduled
- Overmedication leading to unresponsive behavior
Emotional abuse is very destructive, such as humiliation, intimidation, isolating the patient from others, or failing to pay attention to the elderly person, leaving them alone for long period of time without stimulation or personal contact.
Financial exploitation is another way caregivers take advantage of helpless nursing home patients. This often occurs through stealing a patient's identity, setting up phony investments, forging signatures on checks, deeds, etc., and stealing cash, jewelry or other valuables.
Nursing Home Class Action Lawsuits in the Los Angeles Area
In the past decade, class actions have been brought against multiple nursing homes in the LA area for violating various laws and regulations that are enforced by California's Department of Health Care Services.
Some of the most notable including:
- Skilled Healthcare Group (now Genesis HealthCare) – Lost a class action jury verdict for $640 million.
- Brius Management nursing homes, such as: Highland Park Skilled Nursing & Wellness Centre, South Pasadena Rehabilitation Center, Lighthouse Healthcare Center, Norwalk Skilled Nursing & Wellness Centre, Verdugo Valley Skilled Nursing & Wellness Centre, Hawthorne Healthcare & Wellness Centre and Maywood Skilled Nursing & Wellness Centre
- Ensign Group Inc. – Lost a Medicare fraud case and had to pay $48 million. Some of their nursing homes around LA include: Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center, Panorama Gardens, Orchard Post-Acute Care, Sea Cliff Healthcare Center, and Southland
Los Angeles Nursing Home Ratings
There are hundreds of nursing home facilities throughout the Los Angeles area, some of which have better care than others. U.S. News has provided ratings for many of these nursing homes based on:
- Health inspections
- Nurse staffing
- Quality measures
Some of the lower rated nursing homes include: Vernon Healthcare Center, Brier Oak on Sunset, Westside Health Care, and Country Villa Rehabilitation Center.
Is Your Loved One Being Abused in a Nursing Home?
It's absolutely deplorable when a caregiver takes advantage of an elderly person in their care. You can be sure we are ruthless when it comes to protecting the rights of elderly citizens who have suffered due to abuse, neglect or even killed. We offer a free case consultation where we can discuss your family member's situation and advise you of your options.
Call us for quality legal help.
$333 Million Mega Millions Lottery Dispute
$4.9 Million Wrongful Death
Found Not Guilty Attempted Murder
I couldn't imagine what I would do if I didn't call Martinian and the crew for help. M.O.
Thank you for pouring your hearts and souls into my case. O.R.
They took care of everything and got me the best care for recovery. J.A.