Accidents occur on construction sites every day, with falling objects, scaffolding collapses, falls from ladders/heights, and more often leading to serious injuries and even deaths. Here in Los Angeles, with building projects continuing to increase despite the COVID-19 pandemic and a slowing national economy, the potential for suffering an injury on a construction site is actually quite high.
But while most of us tend to think of injured workers when considering construction site accidents, pedestrians commonly suffer these types of injuries as well – often as a result of falling objects (also known as stuck-by injuries).
This blog will look at what you can do if you’ve been injured on a construction site as a pedestrian. We’ll review some important statistics, discuss what types of damages may be recovered in a pedestrian construction site accident injury civil case, and provide information on how to file your claim with the experienced Los Angeles attorneys at Martinian & Associates.
Statistics on Pedestrian Construction Site Injuries
A recent investigative report from the Wall Street Journal uncovered how the dangers of construction sites often affect those walking on the sidewalks and streets.
According to the Wall Street Journal, from 2008 through 2014, there were 96 construction accidents involving pedestrians and other passersby in New York City. As a result, 155 injuries occurred to pedestrians. Furthermore, the report found that, on average, at least once per month a passerby is injured on a New York City construction site.
How pedestrians are injured on construction sites can involve any number of scenarios, including:
- Falling bricks
- Falling hammers
- Falling glass
- Windblown fences
- Collapsing sidewalk sheds
Additionally, the Wall Street Journal reported that at least four drivers or passengers in cars and taxis were injured by falling debris from construction sites such as planks or bricks.
Some additional statistics on pedestrians being injured on construction sites include:
- 18 construction accidents involving bystanders were reported in New York in 2014.
- 22 people were hurt that year as a result of those construction site accidents.
- A woman was struck and killed by a plywood board that blew off a construction fence in New York’s Greenwich Village.
- Between 2008 and 2014, three children were injured (including one struck in the head by a hammer dropped by a worker from a hanging scaffold).
- Three times in less than a year, either glass or plexiglass fell from a 1,000 foot-tall luxury hotel under construction on West 57th Street.
- When the Wall Street Journal report was published, the total number of construction accidents involving either workers or pedestrians was at its highest point in seven years.
What is a Pedestrian Accident Civil Claim?
Pedestrian accidents typically occur when someone walking on the street is struck by a motor vehicle (car, truck, scooter, etc.) or bicycle. But pedestrians are commonly injured when passing by construction sites as well, particularly in major cities such as Los Angeles.
When you suffer an injury as a pedestrian and negligence is involved, a civil claim (lawsuit) with Martinian & Associates can be a means of securing financial compensation for various damages.
What Damages are Recoverable After a Pedestrian Construction Site Accident Injury?
The experienced and proven pedestrian accident lawyers at Martinian & Associates will fight aggressively to pursue all applicable damages for your claim. Some such damages may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Past and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Reduced future earning potential
- Diminished quality of life
- Emotional or psychological trauma
- Punitive damages
When a pedestrian is injured near a construction site – whether due to falling debris, an equipment malfunction, or even a weather-related incident – the key to securing maximum financial compensation for your claim involves having a skilled and aggressive attorney like Tigran Martinian fighting in your corner. With over 20 years of experience and more than $100 million in settlements and verdicts recovered for injured victims like you, Martinian leads a team of trusted and talented personal injury lawyers standing by 24/7 to help you take the first step toward securing justice after a pedestrian construction site accident.
What Should I Do After a Pedestrian Construction Site Accident?
After any type of accident resulting in a personal injury, the first and most important step you can take is to seek immediate medical attention. Addressing your injuries is paramount, and this involves a thorough medical examination by a licensed physician. Attending to your injuries immediately will help ensure that your case has the best chance of success and securing a maximized damages award.
By seeking medical attention after a pedestrian construction site accident, you create an official record which documents the date of the incident, the severity of the injuries, the treatment plan, etc. All of this information can prove to be invaluable when you eventually take your claim to Martinian & Associates.
Once your injuries are addressed by a medical professional, it’s important to fulfill as many of the following steps as possible (as your condition will allow):
- Take photos and videos of your injuries
- Write down your personal account of what transpired when you were injured
- Gather any witness statements and their contact information (driver’s licenses, phone numbers, emails, etc.)
- Take any photos or videos of the accident scene
- File a police or incident report with your local jurisdiction
- Do NOT make any statement to an insurance provider or at-fault party’s (e.g. construction site or property management company) insurance representative without having an attorney present
- Do NOT accept any form of financial/cash settlement or sign any official paperwork without having an attorney present
- Contact a Martinian & Associates California pedestrian accident lawyer for a free and confidential consultation
How Much is a Pedestrian Construction Site Accident Claim Worth?
The value of your construction site pedestrian accident injury claim will depend on a number of factors. In general, the following elements of a pedestrian accident claim can have a substantial impact in the ultimate damages award:
- Whether the claim was filed promptly (and within the general two-year statute of limitations)
- Whether medical treatment was received
- The severity of the victim’s injuries
- The degree of negligence (and whether a pattern of such incidents exists)
- The skill and experience of your pedestrian accident injury attorney
By securing the legal representation of the dedicated team of Los Angeles pedestrian accident lawyers at Martinian & Associates, you can be confident that your claim is in the best possible hands. We will fight aggressively on your behalf to recover the maximum financial compensation you deserve after an unfortunate pedestrian construction site accident.
Contact us today for a free and no obligation consultation by calling 323-850-1900. We are available 24/7 to answer any questions you have about the pedestrian accident claims process, about how long it may take to recover a cash settlement, or about how much your case may be worth.
Don’t settle for an inexperienced or unproven firm after a Los Angeles pedestrian construction site accident injury. Choose the leading personal injury firm in California with a proven track record of helping injured clients secure the maximum damages awards they deserve.
After a pedestrian construction site injury, get the Martinian & Associates Advantage.